Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Academic , Research KE and Teaching Staff
This module is completed via the Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme plus addtional assignments once the programme is complete.
Please follow this link for further information about the Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme https://www.strath.ac.uk/hr/learninganddevelopment/strathclydesupervisordevelopmentprogramme/
SPARK: Supervising Postgraduate Research
Supervising Postgraduate Research is a 20 credit module that enables participants to engage with the professional and theoretical underpinnings and political drivers of developments in research supervision in Higher Education in the UK. Along with these, institutional framework(s) for research and supervision will be contextualised in the participant's academic disciplines.
This module aims to provide participants with the necessary information and reflective activities to allow them to continue to develop appropriate attitudes and aptitudes for effective research supervision in HE.
Though participation in this module participants will:
1. Review their understanding of effective research supervision in their discipline/professional field in the context of national developments and developments in other disciplines/professional fields
2. Contextualise paradigms for research supervision in their academic disciplines
3. Assess their interpersonal skills
4. Identify areas for further development as supervisors including relevant sources of their information on policy and practice in research supervision which they can use in their development
5. Explore and reflect on mentoring and coaching models as a means of motivating postgraduate research students
6. Explore issues regarding power and its impact on the student-supervisor relationship
Delivered By: Organisational and Staff Development Unit