Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: For supervisors of doctoral research students
You know what your research student should be doing, but it just does not seem to be happening. Despite your best efforts to set up good habits for your student, it does not work. Why is this, and what can you do to make completing a PHD easier for your students and for you?
Students attending the seven secrets workshop have consistently reported a marked improvement in their progress towards completing their PHD. Now they have asked us to please tell their supervisors the same things!
This 1/2 day course gives you practical strategies to deal with common problems such as:
- supervisor/student relations
- dealing with writer's block
- attitude (or lack thereof!) in relation to the PHD - it's not a Nobel prize
- getting your student to seek help when they are stuck
- the student who never has enough time
- treating the PHD like a job
- keeping on going when the going gets tough
** This is an optional module of the Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme (see link to webpage below) **
UKPSF Dimensions: A2, A4, A5, K2, V1, V2
Delivered By: Hugh Kearns, ThinkWell
PrerequisitesThis workshop is suitable for both STEP and SPIRAL audiences
If you are taking this course as part of the Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme to become a First or Second Supervisor, you must enrol on this MyPlace class to register for the programme and to track your progress:
- Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme MyPlace Class
- Strathclyde Supervisor Development Programme Webpage
- Find out about other development opportunities the SPIRAL programme can offer you
- Find out about other development opportunities the STEP programme can offer you
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* to your department if you cancel within 5** working days or you do not attend, and a £25 charge for cancellations/ non-attendance between 6 and 10 working days. There will be no charge for cancellation made 10 or more working days before the event. Notifications should be made to OSDU@strath.ac.uk
A department is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary pre-requisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you must attend ALL parts of the course. If you fail to attend any part you will be charged as outlined above.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of course of 1 days duration or less. For some courses there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
**Any bookings made within 10 days of the event will incur the charges as specified.