Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Postgraduate Research Students
Participants will learn about becoming a post-doctoral researcher and about identifying the most suitable postition. They will explore possible career paths in order to help an informed decision about future careers in research.
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Be aware of possible career paths and the realities of pursuing a career in research
- Understand what is involved in working as a contract post-doctoral researcher
- Be aware of the similarities and differences between being a research students and a contract researcher
- Be aware of different approaches in identifying post-doctoral researcher postitions
- Be aware of a range of factors to consider when choosing and applying for post-doctoral positions
- Have a clear expectation about what may be involved in a post-doctoral interview and be aware of common features in the recruitment process for contract research positions
- Be aware of considerations to take into account before accepting a post-doctoral position.
Delivered By: Dr Emma Compton-Daw - Organisational and Staff Development Unit
PrerequisitesCancellation Policy If you are unable to attend a course please cancel your place as soon as possible, with at least 3 working days notice via the online booking system http://bookings.strath.ac.uk/mybookings.asp. Full details of booking conditions can be found at the link below.
Useful LinksFind out about the opportunities available to you as an early career researcher:
PG Certificate in Researcher Professional Development
All postgraduate research students are eligible to access the Researcher Development Programme workshops. This workshop can contribute towards the PG Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PG Cert RPD).
You can find credit and class information in the Researcher Development Programme Handbook and in NEPTUNE (Engineering, HaSS) or SPIDER (Science).
Please check with your department or Supervisor to confirm if you are enrolled on the PG Cert RPD and how many credits you are expected to achieve if you are unsure.