Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: All staff and students.
This two-day Scottish Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA) standard course offers basic general information and teaches techniques to provide help to someone (staff or students) experiencing a mental health problem, before professional help is obtained.
The course is presented by a qualified SMHFA instructor and quality is continually monitored by NHS Scotland.
Attendance at both days' training is required.
The following is a brief outline of what is covered on the course:
- guidance on being a Mental Health First Aider
- attitudes to mental health issues
- the recovery message
- the impact of alcohol and drugs on mental health
- introduction to suicide intervention
- listening skills
- understanding a variety of conditions and how to offer first aid
Delivered By: Disability and Wellbeing Service