Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Research staff planning an academic research career
This is an online day of sharing practice and exploring both the big picture and the detail of academic job and fellowship applications.
The workshop is an opportunity for you to:
- consider what is best for you: an academic contract or independent research funding - we will explore the similarities and differences between the two pathways
- reflect on what you offer a potential employer or funder
- learn how best to market yourself and your leadership
- understand how to plan and market your independent research ideas
- gain some practical tips and experience to help you to effectively plan and refine your applications
- become more focused and prepared for the recruitment process
Specifically we will cover:
- the policy and cultural contexts and of working in academia
- what recruiters (Heads of Department) and funders of fellowships want from you
- typical recruitment and review processes
- application forms and CVs
- what to expect at interview - typical questions
- getting yourself ready: what can you be doing to prepare yourself
We are committed to ensuring our events and courses are accessible to all staff. If you feel you have a disability, health issue, or neurodivergent condition that may affect your ability to access, participate or engage in this course, please get in touch with us at email@example.com to discuss your specific support requirements.
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* to your department if you cancel within 5** working days or you do not attend, and a £25 charge for cancellations/ non-attendance between 6 and 10 working days. There will be no charge for cancellation made 10 or more working days before the event. Notifications should be made to OSDU@strath.ac.uk
A department is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary pre-requisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you must attend ALL parts of the course. If you fail to attend any part you will be charged as outlined above.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of course of 1 days duration or less. For some courses there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
**Any bookings made within 10 days of the event will incur the charges as specified.
Delivered By: Dr Steve Joy - (Leadership and Career Consultant)