Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Research staff planning an academic research career
The webinar is a condensed version of a one day version and, as such, is an opportunity for you get some signposting and advice so that you can proactively put in place a strategy to:
• consider what is best for you: an academic contract or independent research funding - we will explore the similarities and differences between the two pathways
• reflect on what you offer a potential employer or funder
• learn how best to market yourself and your leadership
• understand how to plan and market your independent research ideas
• gain some practical tips and experience to help you to effectively plan and refine your applications
• become more focused and prepared for the recruitment process
Specifically we will cover:
• the policy and cultural contexts of working in academia and fellowships
• what recruiters (Heads of Department) and funders of fellowships want from you
• the application process and requirements
• what to expect at interview - typical questions
• getting yourself ready: what can you be doing to prepare yourself
This course will be delivered by Dr. Steve Joy, the Deputy Director of the UKRI Future Leaders Fellows Development Network.
Steve has more than 12 years’ experience working with researchers and academics on personal, leadership, and career development. He has worked at the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London and has five years' experience of supervising and lecturing.
He has written about career management in a monthly column for The Guardian (2013-14), founded the Early Career Blog, contributed to several edited volumes, and his book on CVs and Applications, published by Cambridge University Careers Service in 2017, has been downloaded over 125,000 times.
One off webinar
Delivered By: Dr Steve Joy
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* to your department if you cancel within 5** working days or you do not attend, and a £25 charge for cancellations/ non-attendance between 6 and 10 working days. There will be no charge for cancellation made 10 or more working days before the event. Notifications should be made to OSDU@strath.ac.uk
A department is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary pre-requisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you must attend ALL parts of the course. If you fail to attend any part you will be charged as outlined above.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of course of 1 days duration or less. For some courses there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
**Any bookings made within 10 days of the event will incur the charges as specified.