Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Postdocs
This is a live online event.
There are a number of options outside of academia that are open to postdocs. Not everyone chooses to climb the academic ladder and many researchers are unaware of the variety of other options that are available.
During their career, researchers develop a number of skills that they can utilise in a variety of other positions, whether these are related to their research or not. A key component to finding a job outside academia is presenting yourself well at interviews, highlighting your skills and explaining your academic experience in a way that appeals to certain employers.
This workshop aims to highlight a number of these careers and to explore what particular options might be compatible with individuals. We will include overviews of a variety of different job types, case studies of researchers who have moved into different careers and provide resources to help participants explore their options. In addition, participants will be invited to complete an individual Elements skills evaluation to help them with future job applications and interviews. This has proven very popular with researchers and it is designed to help them reflect on their own skills and experience so that they can communicate these effectively in written applications and interviews.
At the end of this workshop participants will have:
- a clear understanding of their transferable skills and how to communicate these on their CV and in an interview situation;
- an understanding of how to present themselves and be visible online;
- an overview of a range of non-academic career options.
**Please note that this course ran previously with the following title: Careers beyond Academia
We are committed to ensuring our events and courses are accessible to all staff.
- The session will take place on zoom
- Auto-captions will be enabled
- There will be audience participation
- You are asked to keep your camera on
- You are asked to attend the whole session
- There will be a break
- The session is relaxed – this means you can stretch, move around, stim etc.
- Digital copies of resources will be shared with participants at the start
- Please contact email@example.com to discuss any further access requirements
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* charge to your Department / School if you do not attend your place on the course. There will be no charge as long as you cancel your booked place before the event or notify our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org that you can no longer attend.
A Department / School is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary prerequisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you are expected to attend ALL parts of the course.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of a course of 1-day duration or less. For some courses, there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
Delivered By: Dr. Joanna Young, Electv Training (part of The Scientific Editing Company)