Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Academic staff and all others involved in managing and supervising researchers
This peer network is designed to support those managing and supervising researchers, whether it be research staff members (‘postdocs’) or postgraduate research (PGR) students.
The group will focus on exploring good practices and sharing advice, learning more about developments and available resources on effective people management and supporting each other in their roles as managers of researchers.
The exact programme is discussed and decided by the network participants, with support and facilitation of regular network events and peer discussions through OSDU.
If this sounds of interest to you, please sign up for one or multiple of the following peer network sessions:
- Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 3-4:30pm – Topic: Getting the balance right in people management (how not to involve ourselves too much in projects)
- Thurs, 13th Jan 2022, 3-4:30pm – Topic: Giving constructive (and sometimes negative) feedback https://bookings.strath.ac.uk/Home/Course/5930
- Tues, 1st Mar 2022, 10-11:30am – Topic: Time and project management as a supervisor https://bookings.strath.ac.uk/Home/Course/5931
- Wed, 20th April 2022, 3-4:30pm – Topic: Research integrity and authorship as a supervisor https://bookings.strath.ac.uk/Home/Course/5932
- Thurs, 9th June 2022, 3-4:30pm – Topic: Providing pastoral care as a supervisor https://bookings.strath.ac.uk/Home/Course/5933
The network also runs a set of other activities beyond the sessions above, including through a shared MS Teams page - if you would like to get involved right away and/ or cannot attend the next scheduled session, you can get in touch directly at email@example.com.
Course Outcomes/ Objectives:
Participating in this peer network will provide you with opportunities to:
- share information, experiences and good practice on topics relevant for managing researchers,
- gain support and advice from colleagues across the University,
- constructively and openly discuss challenges around people and line management,
- participate in guided discussions / workshops on different aspects of researcher supervision / management, and
- access support materials and resources to guide your management practices.
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* to your department if you cancel within 5** working days or you do not attend, and a £25 charge for cancellations/ non-attendance between 6 and 10 working days. There will be no charge for cancellation made 10 or more working days before the event. Notifications should be made to OSDU@strath.ac.uk
A department is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary pre-requisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you must attend ALL parts of the course. If you fail to attend any part you will be charged as outlined above.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of course of 1 days duration or less. For some courses there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
**Any bookings made within 10 days of the event will incur the charges as specified.
Delivered By: Emma Compton-Daw and Maria Weikum, OSDU