Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Any staff interested in applying for research grants
This is a live online event.
This workshop is a skill builder where you can learn how to find relevant sources of funding; write up the finance and costings section; and understand the style, tone and formalities of grant applications, including how to structure and build a narrative through the application. Tips on sentence structure and sentence variation will enable you to convey detailed or lengthy specific material without fatiguing the reader and editing skills are also taught to ensure that each sentence of your application is effective and that each paragraph and section flows smoothly. Applications to Research Councils will be introduced.
By the end of this session, you should be able to:
- Plan out the sections of a grant application so that needless rewriting is avoided.
- Create a narrative for different types of applications (RCUK, travel grants etc.).
- Assess the correct writing style for each application.
- Clearly communicate research ideas and proposals in accurate, efficient and precise language.
- Edit your application to present your proposal with clarity and impact.
- Gain confidence in writing to succeed.
We are committed to ensuring our events and courses are accessible to all staff:
- The session will take place on Teams.
- Auto-captions will be enabled.
- There will be optional audience participation by way of asking questions but no break-out rooms.
- You can keep your camera off.
- You are asked to attend the whole session.
- There will be a break.
- The session is relaxed – this means you can stretch, move around, stim etc.
- Digital copies of resources will be emailed to participants upon request.
- Please contact email@example.com to discuss any further access requirements.
When applying for a course, you should note that there will be a £50* charge to your Department / School if you do not attend your place on the course. There will be no charge as long as you cancel your booked place before the event or notify our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org that you can no longer attend.
A Department / School is welcome to send someone else in your place if they wish without incurring a charge, providing that person has the necessary prerequisites for the course. In the case of courses split over more than one day, you are expected to attend ALL parts of the course.
*This is the standard charge for cancellation or non-attendance of a course of 1-day duration or less. For some courses, there may be a higher cancellation charge and if this is the case you will be advised of this at the time of booking.
Delivered By: Dr Kate Smith, Credo Educational Training