Is this course right for me?
Target Audience: Postgraduate Research Students
Participants will gain insight into strategies for developing the skills needed for a successful doctoral research degree and career.
A research degree, unlike an undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme, requires new levels of independence and performance, often with little guidance on how to develop the skills required to fulfil these expectations.
The workshop will give students the opportunity to reflect on the skills required in a doctoral degree and provide some prompts on how to plan their professional development and log progress against those plans.
By the end of the workshop participants will have:
- Reflected on the skills required in a doctoral degree and research career
- Reflected on how to plan their skills development
- An awareness of tools available to assess their current skills and identify areas for ongoing development
- Become familiar with the Researcher Development Framework, to help them plan and reflect on a well-informed development trajectory over their doctoral years and beyond
- Have an overview of sources of support available for their continuing professional development.
Delivered By: Dr Campbell Reid
PrerequisitesCancellation Policy If you are unable to attend a course please cancel your place as soon as possible, with at least 3 working days notice via the online booking system http://bookings.strath.ac.uk/mybookings.asp. Full details of booking conditions can be found at the link below.
Useful LinksFind out about the opportunities available to you as an early career researcher:
PG Certificate in Researcher Professional Development
All postgraduate research students are eligible to access the Researcher Development Programme workshops. This workshop can contribute towards the PG Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PG Cert RPD).
You can find credit and class information in the Researcher Development Programme Handbook and in NEPTUNE (Engineering, HaSS) or SPIDER (Science).
Please check with your department or Supervisor to confirm if you are enrolled on the PG Cert RPD and how many credits you are expected to achieve if you are unsure.